So, you have made up your mind to become a freelancer but don’t know how to start yet. I’m pretty sure that you already have read some guides out there how to start a freelancer but you think that the information that you have is not enough. Yes, nothing is enough until you start doing it.
Starting as a freelancer is one of the hardest ways start as a career, one of the reason is the sheer number of competition on the global market, whatever the platform you chose there is a large number of people competing for the projects and you have first to stand out on those crowd to find a suitable client. You cannot find a client on the web, you can only find them on a freelancers gig, example the most common is the Upwork.com, Freelancer.com, etc. But when competing for these precious clients are very hard. Most of them will only hire those who have a lot of experience on that platform. Gaining experience is the most crucial part of being a freelancer because you cannot become a professional freelancer if you don’t have yet the experience for that niche.
So, here are the things that you have to do before starting out as a freelancer.
- The first thing to do is to have research about the niche that you have chosen, invest your time learning those webinars, tutorials, anything that is worth to learn. It’s easy to find tutorials, especially on Youtube University if you can’t afford paid subscriptions from experts. Having a group also specializes in that niche is also a good source of information.
- After you made yourself armed with the knowledge that you have, you must have a proof for that knowledge, a good example of this is a certificate. So, it’s really good to have few seminars related to those niches, since most seminars will provide certificates that you can show in your profiles which will certainly make you land more jobs in the future. Also, some platforms offer few tests to show your knowledge on that niche, so, if you have good research on that niche, you should easily answer those tests related to that niche.
- The next thing to prepare in being a freelancer is that you should have a different source of income, other than being a freelancer. This is because for the first time, freelancers’ job is not sustainable and it takes time before becoming successful in that niche. The best thing is that if you have a full-time job that is related to your niche, it would be easier for you to become successful in the niche you have chosen.
- The next thing to do before diving into global competition for freelancer is to look for a local client first, this could mean looking for clients that are physically present, they could be your colleagues, friends, friends of friends, relatives or anyone available in your area, the good thing about it is that they could give you a free advice before becoming a full-time freelancer.
- After having a good background or foundation for your chosen niche, you should start to find a platform to focus on your freelancer career; there are a lot of freelancer platforms that you can choose. You should at least have 3 freelancer accounts and depends on where you are most successful, you should focus your effort in there.
- So the basic step is gathering enough experience on that platform. If you already have chosen your niche, look for businesses that don’t have the budget to pay a professional for that niche. The trick is you have to exceed their expectation, if you exceed their expectation, they will leave a remarkable review of your account which will help you land a higher paying job. It’s okay to start as a cheap freelancer, but never render your services for free. The best thing if you contributed to success to these low paying clients, they might hire you in a long term position which will not only give you a stable income but also have a great experience while doing your job, the bonus part is that they will trust you more and possibly teach you new things in which you will be paid. But these kinds of clients don’t come often and most of these clients are also start-up entrepreneurs.
So, there you have it, the things you need to do before starting out as a freelancer. You might consider doing data entry jobs to work from home. It’s all up to you to decide. Good luck!